Responsible after the record is re-opened

Have a question? Welcome here!
soyo
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby soyo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:20 am

Hi

I wanted to describe the problem we're having, and ask if there is any solution or setting for it. The case is connected with closing and reopening the record. Lets say we have person A as author, and we have person R as responsible for that record that A created. Now, when the record is closed for either reason, the A stays there attacked to that record, but R is removed from it. Now the problem arrises, when A wants to reopen the same record and from our observations in 9 out of 10 cases people who reopen those records they assume the R will be the same as it was when the record was closed and so they overlook the dropdown where you assign the R. Due to that almost always, the R is the wrong person, or in some rare occurances it's the same person as the A. It takes some time after we realise this to be the case.

Is there any way we can make the R in the reopened record to be set to the same person it was set to, when the record was closed? If not, how about a setting that the R will not be disconnected from the record when it's closed? In that case when the record is reopened it would still have the same R attacked to it.

Any advice?

User avatar
Artem
eTraxis Support
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby Artem » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 am

Hi,

It's a good idea, actually! At the moment the default responsible is always a current user, but I think you're right and in case of reopening it should be the last (previous) responsible.

I have implemented required changes, you can get them as following:

1. Replace the "src/records/state.php" file with this one - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arody ... /state.php.
2. Add new file "src/sql/records/lastresp.sql" downloaded from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arody ... stresp.sql.

NOTE. Before replacing your current files with specified ones, please check what version of eTraxis do you use. The files I have provided are compatible with eTraxis 3.6.13 or later. If you use older version of eTraxis, please upgrade your eTraxis to the recent version before replacing files from above.
Best regards,
Artem

soyo
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby soyo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:06 am

Fantastic Artem

Thanks a lot for taking the time and implementing those changes. We'll import them sometime next week, and will let you know if everything works as you've explained.

sincerely
Lucas

soyo
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby soyo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:53 am

Fantastic Artem. It looks (so far) that it works as you described. Thank you for your snippets.

Before you close the topic I have one sidequestion. I know you guys are working on a new engine for eTraxis. Can you give me any update on the progress? Do you have some vague time you plan to finish your work?

User avatar
Artem
eTraxis Support
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby Artem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:11 am

Hi Lucas,

You are right - the work is under progress. We port eTraxis into Symfony framework - we believe it will make new features development easier to other developers, and eTraxis will start to evolve faster and better.
The vague plan to complete the work is by the end of this year, but it will be mostly the same functionality, just ported into new framework. After that we plan to start release new features pretty often.

Also, there are still some parts in eTraxis that we want to improve, and first of all it's a templates configuration part. I think it's overcomplicated and not clear enough how to setup new project/template. Currently we remastered UX of this part into treeview, so the hierarchy of projects/templates/states/fields are more intuitively understandable, but there are might be better ways. Since you use eTraxis for a long time, I will really appreciate any ideas or suggestions from you, if you have some (in the described or any other part of eTraxis).
Best regards,
Artem

soyo
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby soyo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:10 am

Artem wrote:Hi Lucas,

You are right - the work is under progress. We port eTraxis into Symfony framework - we believe it will make new features development easier to other developers, and eTraxis will start to evolve faster and better.
The vague plan to complete the work is by the end of this year, but it will be mostly the same functionality, just ported into new framework. After that we plan to start release new features pretty often.

Also, there are still some parts in eTraxis that we want to improve, and first of all it's a templates configuration part. I think it's overcomplicated and not clear enough how to setup new project/template. Currently we remastered UX of this part into treeview, so the hierarchy of projects/templates/states/fields are more intuitively understandable, but there are might be better ways. Since you use eTraxis for a long time, I will really appreciate any ideas or suggestions from you, if you have some (in the described or any other part of eTraxis).
Thanks Artem for the update.

As for your question in general, well first thing I would say is that eTraxis is used by developers, so there is never such a thing for us as complicated, only difficult. Something can be made easier from UI point of view, but "dumbing" the system down is a big no no. I love the amount of customization, and I would love even more. It is true though that it took some time (not that long though) for us to understand the template creation, but once read the tutorials it was pretty easy then to understand what fits where.

What I can advise is to deffinetly try to reorganize the settings so that they are not so spreaded around between different windows. It would be much better if setting a template was in more condensed form, when you have many of the settings availabile on one screen.

Second, and something I already told you about is changing the views/filters pattern. It seems too much "tied" to particular projects. I use same types of filters/views in all my projects, but I cannot use them across different projects, I need to have as many views/projects, as the number of projects.

Third thing is the multiple responsibles for one record. I know about the clone option, but it's more of a tweak, then a sound solution. For example, if you create same record for person A and B, and person A starts a conversation about that functionality, the person B does not see that conversation, because although exactly the same record, it is in different place.

So the way I would see it is to change the 1-1 relation to 1-N relation. When you start a record you don't pick a responsible with dropdown box, you pick them by checkboxes, and you can asign more than one. Now this should be somehow visualized in the record where the state of the record is seen for each of those responsibles. Like Person A has already "Ready for Testing" state, but person B is still working on it. In any case, a simple, 1-N relation, so that every record has its own valid context, that is not divided unnecesearly.

The last thing would be some templates for creating a new record. When you have a tester who all the time creates one type of a record, but only differs in description, title (all the rest is the same) it would be helpful if you could add the current record (when creating) to some kind of a bookmarks/templates, so that the user can use that later on to speed up creating new records.

If something else will come to my mind I'll let you know.

soyo
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby soyo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Artem.

Would you be so kind as to give your view about the ideas I presented above? Are they something you thing are worth adding?

One more thing I thought about is to add a simple and predefined options for users to filter their records. Typical testers, are not knoledgable enough to do their own views or filters, even if you simplify them. Plus, the more things like that users must do, the more chance users will dismiss the eTraxis due to "complicity".

So it would be great, if we (administrator's) could select type of records that would be able to be selected for the filter. So lets say, we have 2 types of options like that "Not DONE" and "RETURNED", and those options should be visible in some dropdown box on the Records page, so that when user selects either of those, only the records in those states would be displayed.

User avatar
Artem
eTraxis Support
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby Artem » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:14 am

Hi Lucas,

Sorry, missed the notification about your first reply. Please find my comments below.
Lucas wrote: What I can advise is to deffinetly try to reorganize the settings so that they are not so spreaded around between different windows. It would be much better if setting a template was in more condensed form, when you have many of the settings availabile on one screen.
I agree with that, that's what I'm trying to implement there - ability to configure the complete workflow without jumping between a lot of small pages as it was before.
Lucas wrote: Second, and something I already told you about is changing the views/filters pattern. It seems too much "tied" to particular projects. I use same types of filters/views in all my projects, but I cannot use them across different projects, I need to have as many views/projects, as the number of projects.
Yes, I know what you mean. I was going to solve this by adding more "standard" filters.
Currently each new user gets 2 predefined filters by default:
  • All assigned to me
  • All created by me
I would like to append more predefined filters as following:
  • All opened
  • All unread
  • All critical
  • All postponed
  • All subscribed
Do you think it will be enough to address your issues? Maybe you would like to add some more filters to the list. Or are your filters too specific?
Lucas wrote: Third thing is the multiple responsibles for one record. I know about the clone option, but it's more of a tweak, then a sound solution. For example, if you create same record for person A and B, and person A starts a conversation about that functionality, the person B does not see that conversation, because although exactly the same record, it is in different place.

So the way I would see it is to change the 1-1 relation to 1-N relation. When you start a record you don't pick a responsible with dropdown box, you pick them by checkboxes, and you can asign more than one. Now this should be somehow visualized in the record where the state of the record is seen for each of those responsibles. Like Person A has already "Ready for Testing" state, but person B is still working on it. In any case, a simple, 1-N relation, so that every record has its own valid context, that is not divided unnecesearly.
Well, I have been requested for this feature several times by different customers, and this is the feature which always looked very arguable to me. :) Initially single responsible was one of the major points of the whole project vision, and I stood for do not implement it all times. But this year I started to think that the project vision should be changed in this part, as multiple responsibles are often useful in real-life projects. Also, there are very few bug trackers with this feature, so having the feature onboard could help eTraxis to outstand a little more.

So, I'm actually with you regarding this, but I would like to complete the current migration to Symfony first before start implement any big changes. Let's keep in touch regarding this later to discuss the feature details, its vision and UX.
Lucas wrote: The last thing would be some templates for creating a new record. When you have a tester who all the time creates one type of a record, but only differs in description, title (all the rest is the same) it would be helpful if you could add the current record (when creating) to some kind of a bookmarks/templates, so that the user can use that later on to speed up creating new records.
There is a clone feature currently there. If I remember it right, if you cloning a record, you've got all its current values as defaults, which you can leave as is or change before submission.
Lucas wrote: One more thing I thought about is to add a simple and predefined options for users to filter their records. Typical testers, are not knoledgable enough to do their own views or filters, even if you simplify them. Plus, the more things like that users must do, the more chance users will dismiss the eTraxis due to "complicity".

So it would be great, if we (administrator's) could select type of records that would be able to be selected for the filter. So lets say, we have 2 types of options like that "Not DONE" and "RETURNED", and those options should be visible in some dropdown box on the Records page, so that when user selects either of those, only the records in those states would be displayed.
Not sure - is it well addressed by extended list of predefined filters, which I described above?
Best regards,
Artem

soyo
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby soyo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Artem and thanks for your response. Don't worry about replying late.
I agree with that, that's what I'm trying to implement there - ability to configure the complete workflow without jumping between a lot of small pages as it was before.
Great, that's good news.
Yes, I know what you mean. I was going to solve this by adding more "standard" filters.
Currently each new user gets 2 predefined filters by default:
  • All assigned to me
  • All created by me
I would like to append more predefined filters as following:
  • All opened
  • All unread
  • All critical
  • All postponed
  • All subscribed
Do you think it will be enough to address your issues? Maybe you would like to add some more filters to the list. Or are your filters too specific?
Deffinetly a predefined filters is a must I think, but how about you would give an administrator the control of that Artem, what do you think? What I mean is, that it would be the role of administrator to:
1) Define those default filters
2) Have the abbility to choose which filters are assigned to who/which group of users

That way, you would loosen the tight constraints, because different administrators might want different set of pre-defined filters for it's users. Ofcourse you can define your own, as long as the administrator would have freedom to disable some of them, or all. Basicaly, administrator control is key here.

Going back to the point, what I meant in that quote was not so much the predefined filters, but rather the abbility to use same filters for different views. For instance, lets say I have project X and Y, and I have in both the type of record "BUG". Now, at the moment if I want to create a view that will show BUG records from either project X or project Y (so 2 different views) I also have to define 2 different filters, despite both projects having virtually the same type of record. I would rather want to have the abbility to create a filter, that will affect both projects (or more projecets, if more use the BUG record type).

Same thing with record types. Me personaly, I use same type of records on multiple projects, but all record types are (I assume) tied to the domain of the project, not eTraxis as a hole. It would be beneficial to create the abbility to create Global record types, not only types in a particular project context.

What do you think?
Well, I have been requested for this feature several times by different customers, and this is the feature which always looked very arguable to me. :) Initially single responsible was one of the major points of the whole project vision, and I stood for do not implement it all times. But this year I started to think that the project vision should be changed in this part, as multiple responsibles are often useful in real-life projects. Also, there are very few bug trackers with this feature, so having the feature onboard could help eTraxis to outstand a little more.

So, I'm actually with you regarding this, but I would like to complete the current migration to Symfony first before start implement any big changes. Let's keep in touch regarding this later to discuss the feature details, its vision and UX.
I understand. One thing that is a big advantage in this case though is that it's not 1-1 or 1-2+ it's 1-1 or 1-N. My point is, if you will add the abbility to use multiple responsibles, that doesn't mean users cannot do 1-1 records only. It will still be there. The only thing you will do, is make eTraxis even more sweet, by giving an abbility to add those multiple responsibles, if there is a need for it at particular time. To give you a good example, if you have a company writing mobile apps for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone, and you have 3 different engineers writing an app for each, if you have a record which should be handled on all platforms, right now you would have to clone the same record 2 times. With the idea of multiple-responsibles, you would have 1 record, but with 3 responsibles, with independend record state. So while working on it, those 3 engineers will sooner or later change their state to TEST, and the author can change the state of the record to DONE once the whole thing was done everywhere. If it wasn't done for one of the 3 engineers, he changes THAT PARTICULAR state to say "NOT DONE", and also only that particular responsible gets email notification about it (since this does not affect the other 2 responsibles).
There is a clone feature currently there. If I remember it right, if you cloning a record, you've got all its current values as defaults, which you can leave as is or change before submission.
That's true, but imagine a user has 200 records, and he needs to find one of the particular records on that list to clone it. It's doable atm, but I'm proposing a more user-friendly approach, where a user could have abbility to save some record as template (one of the templates), so that it's easier for him when creating a new one. Instead of searching for the right record and clone it, he would just hit new record, and select the template from dropdown box. Much more user friendly and time-saver.
Not sure - is it well addressed by extended list of predefined filters, which I described above?
Yes, you touched the topic there, so I also responded there.

Anyways, thanks Artem for being open about the project, and open to some tips and suggestions from customers. I must admit, the eTraxis is very well done, I enjoy it very much even though I used couple other tracking platforms in the past, but at the same time I think it could be even better with a few tweaks here and there, so I'm crossing my fingers you will remember about my pointers.

Lucas

User avatar
Artem
eTraxis Support
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Responsible after the record is re-opened

Postby Artem » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:04 am

Hi Lucas,
Lucas wrote: Same thing with record types. Me personaly, I use same type of records on multiple projects, but all record types are (I assume) tied to the domain of the project, not eTraxis as a hole. It would be beneficial to create the abbility to create Global record types, not only types in a particular project context.

What do you think?
Ok, I see now. Well, I think we need to implement another ofter requested feature - shared templates. If you need to create only one template and then reuse on all your projects, you will be able to setup required filters just once.
Best regards,
Artem


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest